A dad's witterings about a life journey with beer, running and, well, kids!

Wednesday 19 April 2017

Training For Dayz

I've been getting back into the swing with running and training but I *think* that we may be there, FINALLY.

Since the last update there have been 6 training sessions which is around 3 a week and should be my average up until the late Bank Holiday in May for the London 10,000.

From the top:

My first run was a 1.7 mile tester, back from the car garage where Venkman was in having a service and MOT.
Average of 10:07/mile and didn't feel awful and was glad to do it all in one go. No issues, win.

A bit lax, but 10 days later I forced myself out for what would be the first of 3 runs on consecutive days. An easy 5k at 10:11/mile, couple of places where I decided to walk but nice to get a 5k into my legs and to remember that it's not as scary as I'd built up in my head after injury.
Total distance: 3.1 miles.

Next up, and the day after, I went for some more hill repeats - not a scary thing anymore! However, the hills weren't as challenging as they could have been so I'll have to rethink my route next time. Including the warmup and cool down jogs.
Total distance: 3.5 miles.

For the third day, threshold intervals were the order of the day; 15 minute warmup followed by running at threshold pace for 3 minutes, with 1:30 rest after each interval.
Total distance: 3.2 miles.

Then I missed my workouts later in the week due to going away for the bank holiday weekend, ran out of time - who knew there'd be so much to pack with a 5 month old?!
So I decided to make up for it on Monday with my long Sunday run, which according to my plan, was to be a 45 minute easy run.
My Garmin decided to pause itself for the first 3 minutes, but as it was a route that I've done before & know it's around 4.5 miles, I shrugged off the technical issue and got my head in the game.
Surprisingly it almost felt easy, an average pace of 9:55/mile isn't what I'd usually call an 'easy' pace. Maybe this is muscle memory kicking in?
Total distance: 4.5 miles.

Finally we're onto yesterday, more threshold intervals - 15 minute warmup followed by a 2x 6 minute intervals with 3 minutes rest after each. Legs felt a little tired after the long run but at the same time, it wasn't as hard as I'd expected. Pretty much hit the target of around 9:30/mile for the intervals and 10:30/mile for the recovery.
Total distance: 3.4 miles.

Couple of cross training/rest days until we kick back off on Friday with more intervals! Sub 1 hour 10k, I'm coming for you!


1 comment:

  1. We'll just tag along in your wake and make it over the line eventually.

    (Sod it, I may as well get this sub 1 hour 10k over with.)

    ReplyDelete